Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Window Dressing


After the great success that was the Yarn Wreath of Fall 2010, I was hesitant to take My Precious down and pack her away to make way for Christmas decorations.  Hence the current state of my den windows:


My naked windows, let me show you them.
After the glory that was my first major crafting success, nothing seemed right for that spot. I tried a few different things, but nothing could compare to the yarny beauty of before.
That is, until I saw this.
With all its fluffy, ruffled goodness, a coffee filter wreath seemed like just the ticket.  Here’s the supplies you’ll need for this project:

Wreath form (I used straw, but that’s just because it’s what I already had on hand), coffee filters (duh!), and straight pins.
This project is SUPER simple. Take one filter and scrunch it up to make a point at one end.


Do the same to another filter and stick a pin through the two and attach them both into the wreath.
Continue this around the wreath, filling in and fluffing as you go.
When you are finished, you will have a something like this:


It's a Christmas Miracle!!!!!!

I used some extra Christmas ribbon I had leftover from wrapping presents to hang it up. The fact that it matches the red & white theme I already had going in my den was an added plus!
My beautiful, festive, fully-dress windows, let me show you them:


The Copy Cat Rundown:
Total Time: I sat down with this and was finished in about an hour. I just worked on it while watching TV and the time flew!
Total Cost: Coffee Filters: $0.89 for 200 (gotta love Aldi!), Straight Pens: $1.50 at WalMart, Wreath Form: $2.50 (50% off at Hobby Lobby). The only supplies I didn’t have on hand already were the coffee filters, so really, this cost me $0.89! If you add up the cost of all the supplies, it cost around $5!
Would we do this again? For sure! Honestly, this project was therapeutic. I’ve had a stressful couple of weeks and sitting down with something simple was a great way to escape for a bit—and having such an awesome finished product gave me a total crafting high! And you can’t beat that price!
Credit: I followed the tutorial by the always awesome Little Brown House. Check her out for another twist on this project-- she used brown coffee filters and I love the way it looks!
Now that I have this awesome wreath, the real question is: how will I make my coffee in the morning?!


Show and Tell Green

2 comments:

  1. I'm dying to try something with coffee filters! I have my 300 count pack all ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're dying to try coffee filter trees too! The coffee filter possibilites are endless (and cheap!)

    ReplyDelete